Oh......now this could be fun to watch! ;)

Conrad Knauer atheoi at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 00:31:42 BST 2010

On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 4:05 AM, Basil Chupin <blchupin at iinet.net.au> wrote:

>>> Ce`?!
>>>
>>> Arizona is not a southern state?
>>>
>> "Southern" in this case is shorthand for the "deep south"
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_South
>> Note the correlation to the Confederacy during the US civil war:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confederate_States_of_America
>>

> In which case the expression is "deep south" and not simply "southern",
> right?

Not necessarily, no; e.g. the phrase "the south shall rise again"
(note usage: http://web.archive.org/web/20070526120507/http://www.kansas.com/201/story/77207.html)
is a reference to the confederacy/"deep south".  Considering that that
usage of south/southern originates to at least 150 years ago, it is
not surprising that it doesn't match the current US map.

CK