Linux infection proves Windows malware monopoly is over

Amedee Van Gasse (ub) amedee-ubuntu at amedee.be
Tue Jun 15 12:02:49 BST 2010

On Tue, June 15, 2010 09:41, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 15/06/10 15:22, Christopher Chan wrote:

>> Linux operating systems do not get infected. There are no virii that
>> work on Linux. You can get trojaned or rootkitted but you won't get self
>> replicating malware. Linux operating systems get cracked. And that has
>> always been the only means of dropping malware.
>
> Do I have things wrong and not fully understand the implications of
> "security" and "cracking" and "hacking"...I do admit ignorance in this
> field.

cracking = getting access to restriced resources by unauthorised means
hacking = programming in a very competent way

> But isn't there an annual competition where the person who
> "hacks"/"cracks" the Windows or MAC or Linux system earns a prize of
> (?)$1000 plus the expensive laptop on which that OS was installed?
>
> And so far the only one not "cracked"/"hacked" has been Linux?
>
> Am I right? I would - seriously - like to be told that I am wrong in
> what I just stated.

So far Linux has not yet been cracked within the time frame alotted to the
participants in that cracking contest. For three simple reasons:
* The concept is pwn2own: the winner gets the cracked machine, and Apple
hardware is more popular (perhaps for resale value?)
* The contest stops as soon as the first machine is cracked.
* Give the participants more time, and more tools than they are allowed to
bring with them, and they *will* crack Linux.

The lesson for a good Linux sysadmin is to slow down crackers long enough
and set up monitoring tools, so that you will be warned when there is
suspicious activity. Ditto for a Windows and Mac sysadmin.

--
Amedee