Is Linux Too Much for One Mere Mortal to Handle?

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 18:07:54 BST 2010

On 27 July 2010 14:50, Martin Pitt <martin.pitt at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Chris Rees [2010-07-27  8:24 +0100]:

>> Part of the problem is his use of Git, which means that anything
>> official _has_ to go through him. He can't have committers, because
>> that's not how DVCS works.

> That's not true at all. Many git projects have many committers. They
> are usually (i. e. kernel.org, freedesktop.org) controlled by Unix
> group memberships, and having the tree group writable.

git is nicely flexible like that. Wine runs on git too, using the
single-committer model.

git was written by Linus to suit Linus' personal needs and way of
working, but it turns out to have been vastly useful for many other
projects. I think X11 and Wine are the biggest projects outside Linux,
but it's fine for small ones too. It's just a very nice VCS to use.
(If you're Unix-based and comfortable with the command line.)

- d.