Mandriva's Rocky Rebirth

Michael Haney thezorch at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 05:50:51 BST 2010

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 9:55 PM, Fred A. Miller <fmiller at lightlink.com> wrote:

>> Oh, they have come to the same crossroads again? I wonder if they will
>> get a new name for the distro too. Mandrake, Mandriva, ???
>>

> 'Don't know....I imagine something new. I posted it here because there are
> a few here who liked/like Mandriva.

Mandrake was the Ubuntu of its era.  While it didn't have the "near
household name" status that Ubuntu enjoys it was the distro of choice
for Linux newbies.  It was easy to use, offered a lot of option
without being overly complex, and was fun to use.

So much has changed.  When I recently tried Mandriva I was shocked
that this was the same distro.  It was nothing like the Mandrake I
tried back in 1998.  In many ways it was a step backwards.  Even
Ubuntu didn't offer some of the ease of use features that Mandrake had
at that time.  What the hell happened?  What caused this fall from
grace?

Oh well, I hope they get their mojo back.  It would be sad to see one
old guard disappear.

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
"The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the hijacking

Visit My Site:  http://sites.google.com/site/thezorch/home-1
To Contact Me:
http://sites.google.com/site/thezorch/home-1/zorch-central---contacts