sendmail vs postfix (Was: bounced fro Ubuntu user)

Amedee Van Gasse (ub) amedee-ubuntu at amedee.be
Mon Jul 19 08:55:38 BST 2010

On Sun, July 18, 2010 14:03, Chris Rees wrote:

> Why am I the only person on Earth to use sendmail? Even other FreeBSD
> geeks tend to use Postfix....

Why? Because sendmail is one large monolithic program that does
everything. That's easier to share data between different parts of the
system, but also easier to frak up. Postfix otoh is based on cooperating
processes that run on demand and perform specific tasks. Very flexible,
but sometimes you need to make a flowchart to understand what you are
doing.

That's my reason. Other people probably pick postfix because sendmail is
notoriously difficult to configure. Or simply because their distro has
decided for them.

--
Amedee