Ballmer: The Slates Are Coming

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Tue Jul 13 16:52:26 BST 2010

On 07/13/2010 04:24 AM, David Gerard wrote:
> On 13 July 2010 01:43, Fred A. Miller<fmiller at lightlink.com>  wrote:
>

>> >  For a number of reasons, I don't agree that tablets will replace PCs.
>>
> I used friends' iPads last weekend. The perfect down-the-pub web
> browser. A netbook would have suited me personally more, but they were
> *really very good*.
>
> Also:http://notinventedhe.re/on/2010-6-30

For short time use, I suppose so. One of my complaints, but a big one,
is the small screen. Where I have clients with offices, those who've in
the past had small monitors...15" or less...much less in the "old days,"
the users had a LOT of eye strain problems. Once those monitors were
replaced with 17" or larger flat screens, the eye strain problems
were/are gone. I asked a very good eye surgeon awhile ago about this
very issue. His response was that small screens like cell phones were
people access the net., notebooks, etc., are all good business for
ophthalmologists. Those I know who have notebooks and tablets (don't
know but a couple with the latter) ALL have noted that their eyes get
tired easily if they use them for any length of time, and they're ALL in
the 20's and presently don't ware glasses. I guess we have to ask the
question, is making hardware small really a good thing?

Maybe I'm wrong about this and what I've observed isn't really a
problem, but I don't think so.

Fred