Ballmer: The Slates Are Coming

Michael Haney thezorch at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 09:54:52 BST 2010

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 3:56 AM, Christopher Chan
<christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk> wrote:
> On Tuesday, July 13, 2010 03:45 PM, Michael Haney wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 8:51 PM, Christopher Chan
>> <christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Nor do I agree that PCs will become irrelevant and be replaced by the cloud.
>>>
>>> Let's wait and see.
>>>

>> I see something more like the Private Cloud than using something out
>> on the Internet.  My vision of the future is far more attainable right
>> now.  Users would connect to a powerful central computer in the home
>> that is connected to the Internet.  This computer can run
>> sophisticated games, play movies, play music,browse the web and grab
>> emails simultaneously for multiple users.  There's only one central
>> computer in the house to manage and update.  The family connects using
>> whatever they want, be it a graphical terminal that gives them a
>> desktop and provides ports for connecting devices like a webcam, a
>> digital camera, game controllers and etc, a tablet for web browsing,
>> or anything else you might imagine.  These connections can be wired or
>> wireless.  For wired connections we're talking FAST optical fiber
>> networks, and for wireless we're talking about something beyond the
>> 802.11n standard we have now.
>
> FAST optical fiber? Like what? 10Gbit? Seriously? Maybe when costs come
> down...and I mean really come down.
>

>> I see this possibly happening in about 10 years, but its somewhat
>> achievable right now to a limited degree.  The technology isn't quite
>> there yet to make this work as I described it above.
>>

> So 10Gbit ain't good enough for you?

No, that's fast enough, but like you said its still too expensive.
The price will eventually come down.  What we lack if the raw
computing power to make this happen without needing a NASA-esque
budget, and we also need the support for OS developers to make it
happen.

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
"The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the hijacking

Visit My Site:  http://sites.google.com/site/thezorch/home-1
To Contact Me:
http://sites.google.com/site/thezorch/home-1/zorch-central---contacts