Some incisive comments about Linux and KDE 4

Chan Chung Hang Christopher christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Fri Jul 2 14:59:15 BST 2010

Liam Proven wrote:
> On 1 July 2010 15:41, Chan Chung Hang Christopher
> <christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk> wrote:
>> Liam Proven wrote:
>>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/06/30/linux_chronicles_part_one/print.html
>>>
>>> Especially see this linked comment on KDE 4, about which I could
>>> hardly agree more:
>>> http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=1079583&cid=26318873
>>>
>> I run Kubuntu. From Intrepid to Jaunty (still on Jaunty) and it did not
>> particularly get in the way even with 4.1. But regardless, without
>> kiosktool, it has hit the same worthless level as GNOME. As a personal
>> desktop, I'll be willing to use it but that is all. So much for the
>> Linux Desktop.
>
> That's fine, for you. You may desperately need this tool that I've
> never even heard of, but I've never used it in any of my (small-scale)
> live Linux desktop and server rollouts nor have I missed it.

Please, did you notice my domain? Likewise, Ubuntu's main target market
is where again? Desktops, not servers. Like you, I could care less about
kiosktool for servers unless the server is hosting the policies for
desktops.

> What is a must-have essential for you is someone else's bizarre
> unwanted cruft. It's important to realise this.

That someone else's bizarre unwanted cruft is very much in demand in the
corporate world. People out there have time only to IMPLEMENT desktop
solutions, not ENGINEER desktop solutions. That's why they go Microsoft
desktops despite the inherent risks. When the tools allow you to
separate user data from the operating system installation, to
automatically reinstall a desktop with hours including all its software
and security/desktop policies, they start to think less of the security
holes that are sufficiently mitigated by anti-malware solutions that
come complete with instant notification. Guess what I use my Linux
server to do? Automatic installation of Windows on school laptops. If
Samba4 were out and ready, then I'd even dispense with the Microsoft
servers if I can but I'd still be stuck with Microsoft desktops. Back to
admins of corporate desktops.

They worry about creating and setting the policies and then getting them
applied, not how to build a system to get all accounts personnel to have
the same departmental desktop when they log in on the computer and
likewise for all staff of other departments.

Linux will continue to be the playground of devs for sometime. Just like
what they did with KDE. Community? Ha! It's community and 'community'.