Miguel de Icaza, Microsoft MVP

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 18:48:52 GMT 2010

On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 5:52 PM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/1/17 Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com>:

>> But since before ARM appeared, x86 had more software - orders of
>> magnitude more. And since the early 1990s, x86 has consistently been
>> more powerful, now to the point where it is orders of magnitude more
>> powerful but also scales down until it is nearly as cheap and nearly
>> as electricity-frugal as ARM - and it gets smaller, cheaper &
>> thriftier-with-the-juice constantly.
>> Do not underestimate it.
>

> Indeed. However, I'm vastly amused that the possibility of ARM-based
> netbooks that run Linux on almost no power but can't run Windows 7 are
> a problem for *ARM*, not for Microsoft.

I guess!

But in most people's eyes, Windows is a plus. Given the choice between
a $150 Linux computer or a $200 Windows one, I suspect they'd go for
the Windows one.

Now, in the developing world and places, where that $50 is a Really
Big Deal, maybe. But OTOH there the Chinese will be aggressively
selling Loongson-powered /really/ cheap computers. Like the one rms
already uses.

>> Also, since Intel is nearly as dirty-dealing a company as Microsoft.
>> Not quite; that would be rather hard, only the big petrochemicals
>> companies approach that, or the big finance houses if you take a moral
>> rather than legal view.
>
> Or the record companies. Microsoft is saintly compared to them.

Good gods, really!? [citation needed]

> Intel is rather good at making ARM chips too, y'know. They just really
> like their x86 business.

Not any more. They sold the business to Marvell. Although Intel's
XScale designs are still on sale, AIUI, Marvell makes & sells them.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com
MSN: lproven at hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508