Hardy->Karmic booting locked-room mystery

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sat Jan 16 23:58:59 GMT 2010

2010/1/15 Martin Pitt <martin.pitt at ubuntu.com>:

> If you can get into the grub editor to boot Windows, then you can also
> edit the existing Ubuntu stanza to boot from /dev/sda2 (for example)
> instead of UUID=123DEADBEEF.

You'd think so, but having tried /dev/hda1-8 and /dev/sda1-8, I'm now
thinking the grub.conf was not updated at all, and is trying to open
the 2.6.18 initrd.gz.

>_<

I've installed an ext2ifs driver on the Windows partition, but it
can't read the (ext2? ext3?) Ubuntu partition.

Worst case is I put Debian floppies in again just to get Grub behaving ...

- d.