Miguel de Icaza, Microsoft MVP

Samuel Thurston, III sam.thurston at gmail.com
Sat Jan 16 23:17:19 GMT 2010

On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 2:57 PM, Ari Torhamo <ari.torhamo at gmail.com> wrote:
> You seem to assume that if you in the beginning of your post announce
> that Conrad is a "Stallmanite", you get some kind of upper hand against
> him.

You seem to think that simply claiming I'm being straw-mannish without
explaining how you come to this conclusion erodes my points in some
way.  The irony is unbearable.

My case one more time, without the use of language that offends the
"free as in speech" crowd:

Certain applications are "better" than others from a purely
user-centric standpoint.  Ubuntu's focus is on making things better
for end users.  If the best applications they can find to fulfill
certain roles or tasks depend on mono, there's nothing wrong with
that: non-mono coders have a responsibility to build equal-quality (or
superior) alternatives if they believe there is something wrong with
mono.  The fear that a GPL'ed dependency will cause trauma throughout
the software community because it may, at some point in the future,
create patent problems or difficulties with a shifting standard is
silly on face. If we can live without the apps today, there's no
reason we won't be able to live without them if MS yanked the plug on
mono.

Nothing prevents concerned end users from removing the offending
library and getting on with their life.

The only reason to turn Miguel into a political football is ideology.