Hardy->Karmic booting locked-room mystery

Goh Lip g.lip at gmx.com
Fri Jan 15 14:02:57 GMT 2010

On 01/15/2010 07:43 PM, Alan Pope wrote:

> Boot machine to grub menu using shift, highlight most recent recovery
> kernel line, press e to edit, go down to where the UUID is mentioned
> (linux line), change root=UUID=blablahblah to root=/dev/sda2 (or
> whatever your linux partition is), press ctrl+x to boot.

Alan, I think David cannot get to the grub menu but he can get to the
grub prompt because he wrote..

> I managed to boot the laptop into Windows by telling GRUB by hand
> "chainloader (hd0,0)+1" - though of course I'll need to do that every
> time I boot it.

otherwise he would have booted to windows using the menu rather than 'by
hand'.

If he can get to the grub menu, your method will be easiest and I
wholeheartedly support his using your method.

Oh, David, have checked karmic's kernel. I have
  2.6.31-17,  2.6.31-16, 2.6.31-15,  2.6.31-14.

Regards,
Goh Lip