Hardy->Karmic booting locked-room mystery

Goh Lip g.lip at gmx.com
Fri Jan 15 11:27:20 GMT 2010

On 01/15/2010 09:42 AM, David Gerard wrote:

> The catch there is how to boot the Ubuntu partition at all. If I can
> get that far, I'm fine.

I take it your grub is the old grub, ie, grub-legacy.
At grub prompt, grub>, type
root (hd0,x-1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-10-generic root=/dev/sdax ro quiet
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-10-generic
boot

Important note: I am at hardy, can't remember what's the karmic kernel
is at now.
o  Substitute "2.6.31-10" with what you have.
o  (hd0,x-1) and sdax --  x is a real number for your karmic partition.

>> The catch there is how to boot the Ubuntu partition at all. If I can
>> get that far, I'm fine.

Of course once in Karmic, please update to grub2 and install/set to sda.

Good luck.