Hardy->Karmic booting locked-room mystery

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 00:45:45 GMT 2010

2010/1/15 Samuel Thurston, III <sam.thurston at gmail.com>:

> since you can get windows to boot, you might be able to tweak
> something in the grub config files using the ext2 ifs for windows
> http://www.fs-driver.org/ although IIRC you must run grub after
> changing the settings or risk horrible things happening.

Yeah, I've used the ext2 driver. You always need fsck afterwards if
you use it on an ext3 disk. But using that to get into the grub conf
is the least-unpromising approach so far.

> usb booting may be something you have to enable in the bios, and may
> or may not require a bios upgrade which might require a boot cdrom...
> could you use a USB cdrom to boot? I know you say it doesn't boot from
> usb but the cdrom devices work differently I think. If not you could
> still run Wubi from a cd after booting to windows, though I am not
> sure this will help you fix the problem.

For that, it would help if I had a USB CD, which I don't ;-)

> ugh PXE boot.  well, if you are feeling adventurous you might be able
> to use the boot.kernel.org pxe selections, and save yourself setting
> up a server of your own.

Or I could just spork my eyes out! %-D

>  The upgrade process should not be upgrading from grub1 to grub2 so I
> am not sure about this being the reason for the problem.  I think it
> has to do with a change in how the UUID's are assigned.

Yuh. Is this actually documented anywhere?

> I hope you find my random thoughts useful in some way.

Thank you!

- d.