Microsoft is hiring a "linuxman"

Samuel Thurston, III sam.thurston at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 19:02:13 GMT 2010

On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 11:54 AM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2010/1/4 Amedee Van Gasse (ub) <amedee-ubuntu at amedee.be>:
> > On Mon, January 4, 2010 08:00, Mihamina Rakotomandimby wrote:
>
> >> https://careers.microsoft.com/JobDetails.aspx?ss=&pg=0&so=&rw=1&jid=9914&jlang=EN
>
> > I think that this is more suitable for sounder at lists.ubuntu.com because it
> > is not a technical question.
>

> What does Sounder make of this?
>
> I want to see if they can add features to make Wine on Windows work better >;-)

The position is filled, or at least the job is marked "no longer
available" so I can't see the job description, but I'm betting it's
more kernel-level compatibility stuff for virtualizing on Windows
Server. You may recall that MS released some kernel patches middle of
last year that were designed to help windows run better on xen, my
money's on them staying with this direction for future server
releases.

I think it's probably a fine strategy for them, since virtual servers
could mean more sales of Win7 Sever or whatever they're calling it
these days.  And it's good for IT dept's too, because if you have to
run Windows in your org. for corporate reasons, it's probably a good
idea to virtualize (security, stability, etc.), and I would think that
makes for an easier migration path to solaris or linux, phasing
virtual servers would be significantly easier than the physical ones.