Is Canonical Becoming The New Microsoft?

Thu Feb 11 07:40:05 GMT 2010

Tero Pesonen wrote:

> On Wed, 2010-02-10 at 15:55 +0000, Avi Greenbury wrote:
> > Tero Pesonen wrote:
> > > When I can write a thesis or a research paper on Abiword, I will
> > > bless that choice. Now the desktop will simply be crippled.
> >
> > No more than the absence from the default install of a GUI for
> > managing LDAP directories cripples the desktop.
> > It's a change in the default install set, not a change in what's
> > available. If you want to write a thesis on your netbook in OOo, you
> > can still go and install it and use it.
>
> I may need to make modifications at a meeting. The point is, why
> should a netbook not be able to open complex documents?

For the same reason as it might not, by default, run an ftp server or
be able to edit videos - because the majority of the userbase doesn't
need it, and for those that do it's only ten minutes away in the repos.

> I have seen people do that all the time. I guess they are using their
> netbooks incorrectly.

They're doing it incorrectly if they've not got a way of opening the
document before they get to the meeting, yeah. Generally, if you have a
habit of opening complex documents on a netbook, you will make sure you
have your preferred way of doing it properly set up shortly after
configuring the netbook.

I can't be the only person for whom part of the install is to remove
the bits that I don't want and install some extraneous bits that I do?
It's just part of the OS install to make sure all the apps I
want installed on this box are there.

--
Avi Greenbury
http://aviswebsite.co.uk ;)