Is Canonical Becoming The New Microsoft?

Tero Pesonen tero at tpesonen.net
Wed Feb 10 16:07:08 GMT 2010

On Wed, 2010-02-10 at 15:55 +0000, Avi Greenbury wrote:
> Tero Pesonen wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2010-02-10 at 13:55 +0000, Avi Greenbury wrote:
> >
> > > OOo is ginormous and bloated. I wouldn't run it on a netbook. The
> > > initial decision to side with Google Docs appears to have changed to
> > > switching to AbiWord and Gnumeric, which is a much better idea IMO.
> >
> > When I can write a thesis or a research paper on Abiword, I will bless
> > that choice. Now the desktop will simply be crippled.
>
> No more than the absence from the default install of a GUI for managing
> LDAP directories cripples the desktop.
> It's a change in the default install set, not a change in what's
> available. If you want to write a thesis on your netbook in OOo, you
> can still go and install it and use it.

I may need to make modifications at a meeting. The point is, why should
a netbook not be able to open complex documents? I have seen people do
that all the time. I guess they are using their netbooks incorrectly.

> > I wouldn't recommend that version of Ubuntu to an inexperienced
> > Windows user.
>
> Because it's not got a fully-featured office suite, and instead a
> mildly quick one? Most Windows boxes don't come with a competitor to
> OOo.
> Having a lightweight word processor on an underpowered netbook is
> surely better for the inexperienced Windows user? It's faster and more
> responsive, in addition to being simpler.

As I said, this usage pattern is not what I am seeing.

> > Google Docs must be some kind of inside joke at Google that someone
> > released by accident.
>
> Really? I've only heard of success stories with it.

OK...

Tero Pesonen

--
PGP/GPG Key ID 315FD528