Is Canonical Becoming The New Microsoft?

Wed Feb 10 15:55:15 GMT 2010

Tero Pesonen wrote:

> On Wed, 2010-02-10 at 13:55 +0000, Avi Greenbury wrote:
>
> > OOo is ginormous and bloated. I wouldn't run it on a netbook. The
> > initial decision to side with Google Docs appears to have changed to
> > switching to AbiWord and Gnumeric, which is a much better idea IMO.
>
> When I can write a thesis or a research paper on Abiword, I will bless
> that choice. Now the desktop will simply be crippled.

No more than the absence from the default install of a GUI for managing
LDAP directories cripples the desktop.
It's a change in the default install set, not a change in what's
available. If you want to write a thesis on your netbook in OOo, you
can still go and install it and use it.

> I wouldn't recommend that version of Ubuntu to an inexperienced
> Windows user.

Because it's not got a fully-featured office suite, and instead a
mildly quick one? Most Windows boxes don't come with a competitor to
OOo.
Having a lightweight word processor on an underpowered netbook is
surely better for the inexperienced Windows user? It's faster and more
responsive, in addition to being simpler.

> Google Docs must be some kind of inside joke at Google that someone
> released by accident.

Really? I've only heard of success stories with it.

--
Avi Greenbury
http://aviswebsite.co.uk ;)