Andriod not the only open source mobile os out there now

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 16:39:21 GMT 2010

On 8 February 2010 16:14, Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 9:14 PM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Now we just need someone to care about Symbian being open source. I
>> believe Liam is the last enthusiastic Symbian^WEpoc user in the world...

> FSVO "enthusiastic", anyway.

Bah, I wrote this just for you!

http://newstechnica.com/2010/02/05/nokia-frees-symbian-code-three-or-four-overjoyed/

> For my money, nothing even remotely like the perfect cellphone yet
> exists and it won't for a while yet.

Steve Jobs tells the story of him and his engineers getting together
and realising they all *really hated* their phones. So they decided to
make one they wouldn't hate. And it appears lots of other people don't
hate it too. It has the key and most marketable Apple feature: not
making its users want to smash it to bits with a toffee hammer. A
pocket Unix system locked down like that wouldn't be enough for the
hackers here, but as a gadget for people who neither know nor care
about technology it's arguably hit the spot.

- d.