basic

Tero Pesonen tero at tpesonen.net
Sun Feb 7 14:39:34 GMT 2010

On Sun, 2010-02-07 at 01:02 -0500, Kevin Hunter wrote:
> At 9:46pm -0500 Sat, 06 Feb 2010, Gryllida wrote:
> > Why don't you use Thunderbird instead?
>
> Though I use Thunderbird, I can give one very legitimate reason: bloat.
>  Thunderbird takes a heck of a lot more resources to run than Claws.
> And I say that even though I have *plenty* of resources to spare.
>
> I would use Claws if it dealt better with IMAP and generally wasn't as
> unstable as it was the last time I used it.  It's faster, much better in
> terms of threading, and, last time I checked, used about a 5th of the
> memory Thunderbird.  On my machine, Thunderbird currently clocks in at
> 200M resident memory.  That's resident memory, mind you, memory devoted
> soley to Thunderbird.  Not virtual memory and not shared memory.  That's
> insane!  For the same mailboxes, Claws uses about a 40M.
>
> Unfortunately, I couldn't get used to the Claws keybindings, and it
> crash about 5 times as often.
>
> I have the RAM to spare so I stick with Thunderbird, but I wish Claws
> were more stable.  I really do.

Claws is too unstable for serious use.

Evolution, on the other hand, though stable unless you do something
fancy, is sloooowww.... on IMAP. The reason I haven't gone back to Pine
or Alpine is it takes so damned long to configure the beast "just
right." But once it's OK, it blows all the other clients away on all
important metrics (to me): IMAP, speed and general stability.

Maybe I need to take Monday off and spend it configuring Alpine... or
learn mutt.

Tero Pesonen

--
PGP/GPG Key ID 315FD528