basic

Tero Pesonen tero at tpesonen.net
Sat Feb 6 13:53:59 GMT 2010

On Sat, 2010-02-06 at 11:37 +0000, Graham Todd wrote:
> On Thu, 04 Feb 2010 15:03:55 +0200
> Tero Pesonen <tero at tpesonen.net> uttered these words:
>
> > - Evolution freezing at startup. Fixed by deleting all local IMAP
> > cache and account settings. This has happened a few times. I miss
> > KMail.
> [snipped]
>
> Many of the points you raise have been addressed in Super OS at:
>
> http://hacktolive.org/wiki/Super_Ubuntu
>
> and though I've never tried to run KMail you could run it I'm sure.

I had never heard of Super OS before. This looks really interesting.
Thanks for sharing.

> On the other hand, you could use Claws Mail, which I find superior for
> just getting mail.  Its in the repos, but make sure to stave off any
> problems you have the latest version from Claws-Mail's own Ubuntu PPA,
> and its plug-ins.  Go to:
>
> http://www.claws-mail.org
>
> the pick the Downloads page on the right, then go to the Ubuntu PPA
> page where you'll get instructions on adding the repos to Synaptic,
> from the Technical Information link.....or if you want to go directly
> there, go to:
>
> https://launchpad.net/~claws-mail/+archive/ppa

I've tried Claws Mail, but it seems impossible to configure it to work
with the high contrast inverse accessibility colour scheme I use. I
can't remember the details -- but I had a lot of trouble with setting
sensible colours and font sizes etc.

I currently run Evolution, but another option would be to go back to
pine/alpine.

Tero Pesonen

--
PGP/GPG Key ID 315FD528