DeviceKit Inquiry

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Thu Feb 4 15:10:37 GMT 2010

Michael Haney [2010-02-04  3:28 -0500]:
> I've looked into it a little but still don't know much about it.  The
> next release of Ubuntu, 10.04 will remove the HAL in favor of
> DeviceKit.  What sort of differences should we expect?  Is DeviceKit
> better at detecting hardware than the HAL which has been used up to
> now?

The transition away from hal already happened in 9.10, 10.04 just does
more of it. From an user's POV not much should be different, except
that the new system is much easier to maintain in the long run, and
DeviceKit-disks/power are much smaller.

  http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/hal/2008-May/011560.html

  http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/devkit-devel/2009-April/000140.html

Martin