Linux Hater's Blog (parody)

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Tue Feb 2 03:55:46 GMT 2010

On Tuesday, February 02, 2010 11:27 AM, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 4:54 PM, Christopher Chan
> <christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
> <mailto:christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk>> wrote:
>

>     Heh. The only real contribution to computing from Bill Gates and co was
>     his BASIC software. The rest was all 'borrowed' and then there is all
>     the negative contributions when they buy out competitors/others and then
>     shut stuff down.
>
> Just in case it isn't widely known, BASIC was created at Dartmouth
> College by then Math chair John Kemeny, assisted by Tom Kurtz, around
> 1963.  It was not proprietary, so it was fine for Gates to re-implement
> it, but Gates does not deserve credit for the language itself.  I'd call
> it "borrowed" too.

Which was why I said 'BASIC software' and not just BASIC. An old timer
tells me that it was really good and possibly one of the best but he
still lays into Bill for 'stealing' C/PM and reckons the death of
Kildall was fishy. He also said another CEO of a Microsoft competitor
met an untimely death the same day Kildall die too...