Ubuntu as a philantropic monopoly?

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 17:00:57 GMT 2010

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 9:02 AM, Carsten Agger <agger at modspil.dk> wrote:
> Have anyone seen this posting?
>
> It exposes a criticism of the Ubuntu project which I think higlights
> some things which should concern us (is "free" used as meaning "gratis,
> of no cost" in the Ubuntu Software Center? Why does Canonical's
> contributor copyright assignment not promise to always release assigned
> code as free software, as the FSF's does?
>
> Is Ubuntu's commitment to software freedom being watered down because of
>   the installation by default of an integrated client to a proprietary
> network service (UbuntuOne)?
>
> I do not quite agree with jaromil's assessment that Ubuntu is harmful, I
> think it has made a huge contribution to free software and think it will
> continue to do so, however the concerns as have also been voiced on the
> devel list, certainly seem valid to me.
>
> Any thoughts on this?
>
> br
> Carsten

I think you raise some good points there - more than Jaromil himself
does, actually.

Overall I am not impressed with this post of his - it seems to me like
the sort of person who always has to attack someone more successful
than himself. I will try to post a more detailed response later, when
I have more time.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com
MSN: lproven at hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508