Linux is Communism!

Samuel Thurston sam.thurston at gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 16:37:13 UTC 2010

On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 10:07 AM, Douglas Pollard <dougpol1 at verizon.net> wrote:
> Samuel, I had not considered that Windows could contain spyware  in the
> traditional sense of one country spying on another.   It is a pretty
> sure thing that Linux can't, or at least can't hide it.  That is a good
> point.     Doug

Doug,

It isn't talked about nearly as much as it used to be.  Ten years or
so ago it was a bit more "trendy" discussion-wise. IIRC China at the
time was just starting their own shift to linux on government
machines.  There's a wikipedia article about one of the pieces of
"evidence" (rather circumstantial, IMO) from the Win2k codebase:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSAKEY

The reference section contains some more evidence and supposition in
the area of microsoft being complicit in spying/backdooring.

To their credit, an MS spokesman once said something along the lines
of "that would be stupid. someone would find it. our market
survivability would be zero." I certainly agree with the first two
parts.  I think in general people don't care as much as they probably
should.