A Request For Opinions

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 12:36:36 BST 2010

On 27 August 2010 05:31, Nathan Bahn <nathan.bahn at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm going to be studying servers, and I was wondering if anyone knows just
> how highly -- if at all -- is CompTIA Server+ certification regarded in the
> information technology field?  CompTIA offers a number of different
> certifications, including Linux.  To what degree -- if any -- is it
> worthwhile to get all of them?  Or do people specialize in just one area
> (e.g., security)?

Personally I wouldn't consider it worth a lot at all. Unix admins
don't put a lot of store by certifications.

I was sent on a couple of Sun courses by my employer when I was just a
baby sysadmin, many years ago, but those were worth it for the
material rather than certs ... and I already had the job. I know some
Red Hat admins think the Red Hat certs are worth the effort for the
material itself. And to get the Cisco certs you need to know your
stuff, so they're worth having.

A cert *may* be useful to get into a position where you can
demonstrate basic sysadmin aptitude and thereby gain experience, which
is the key factor in employability. Experience, that's the thing.

- d.