Canonical Begins Tracking Ubuntu Installations

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Fri Aug 13 11:44:56 BST 2010

On 13 August 2010 11:35, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> Any word from Canonical on whether this is expressly opt-in, like
> PopCon? (Which I always enable.)

For those machines that have the package installed, it puts an
/etc/cron.daily/send-census on the machine. So it looks "enabled by
default" on those OEM installs that have it.

> What other phone-home functions are enabled by default? NTP sync to
> ntp.ubuntu.com and checking the repos for updates - anything else?

Remote desktop phones back to the upstream developer and lets them
know you have VNC port open which alarms me a bit.

https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/vino/+bug/608701

Cheers,
Al.