World famous Ubuntu Mailing List: Sounder - Re: Commentary on: Fwd: Howto: Empathy Training... - Ric Moore +=1. Sensible man. ... ; jor kubuntu

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Thu Aug 5 11:03:18 BST 2010

On 05/08/2010 19:05, giovanni_re wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Aug 2010 10:28:38 +0200 (CEST), "Amedee Van Gasse (ub)"
> <amedee-ubuntu at amedee.be>  said:
>
>> On Thu, August 5, 2010 09:11, giovanni_re wrote:
>>
>> *snip*
>>

>>> Having studied logic, ven diagrams, hierarcy ('ts been a few years ;)
>>> ), here's the way this reads:
>>>
>>> The mailinglists page is more general than the specifics on the Sounder
>>> list page, thus the specifics on the Sounder page take precedence.
>>> Thus, indeed, as the sounder list page specifically says: "_Anything
>>> goes_ Ubuntu community chit-chat and discussion list".   (Emphasis
>>> mine.)
>>>
>>> _Further_, the quote above from the mailing lists pages, which you
>>> reference, is under a section title "Specific examples:".  That means
>>> that section is pointing out some _subsets_ of what is applicable.  So,
>>> sure, "discussion of subjects of general interest related to Ubuntu,
>>> linux, open source or software in general" are appropriate on the
>>> sounder list.  But, that is _merely_ "an" "example" (subset), and not
>>> the "universe" of allowable content on this wonderful Sounder list.
>>>
>> Just to make sure that I understand you. Are the following topics
>> appropriate for Sounder? They are just examples, or in your own words: a
>> subset of the universe of allowable content.
>> * my cute cats
>> * my neighbour crossing my garden because he locked himself out
>> * how to make a delicious cheesecake
>> * the oil spill in China
>> * the Illuminati
>> * the Lumber Cartel
>> * ...
>>
> Only if posted by a member of the Ubuntu community.

Oooow, be very careful when you make such blanket statements, Giovanni!

In another distro's mail list people suddenly appeared to complain about
what a certain person was posting simply to create the situation whereby
that person would be removed from that list; and these "sudden
apparitions" were not members of that "community". They were setups,
accessing the mail list(s) for no other reason other than to get rid of
a particular person - and they have never appeared in that "community"
again once the "assassination" was done.

BC

--
If nothing happens, nothing can go wrong.