World famous Ubuntu Mailing List: Sounder - Re: Commentary on: Fwd: Howto: Empathy Training... - Ric Moore +=1. Sensible man. ... ; jor kubuntu

giovanni_re john_re at fastmail.us
Thu Aug 5 08:11:24 BST 2010

Hi Basil - good find.  :)

On Thu, 05 Aug 2010 15:39:32 +1000, "Basil Chupin"
<blchupin at iinet.net.au> said:
> Ah, I was anticipating some sort of, "You've lost your marbles",
> response so here is where you go and look :-) :

> Read carefully.......
>
> And you are, of course, also quite right: there is a glaring
> contradiction between the 2 references.
>
> It would appear that the difference is intentional so as to confuse the
> hell out of people and also to be able to shout at you, "Gotcha, you
> little worm!" if you step out of line :-) .

"Topic

Every mailing list deals with a specific subject matter (a topic). It is
important to limit discussion to that topic so that the mailing list
remains productive. When writing to mailing lists, bear in mind that
your email may be sent to hundreds of people, who have signed up to the
mailing list for a specific reason, or interest. Avoid subjects which
are not relevant to the individual mailing list, and each time you write
an email, consider its relevance for the mailing list in question. A
good rule of thumb is that each email should contribute positively to a
relevant discussion.

Specific examples:
* The ubuntu-users mailing list should be used for technical support.
* The ubuntu-devel mailing list should be used for discussion of the
development of Ubuntu.
* The sounder mailing list should be used for discussion of subjects of
general interest related to Ubuntu, linux, open source or software in
general.
"

Having studied logic, ven diagrams, hierarcy ('ts been a few years ;)
), here's the way this reads:

The mailinglists page is more general than the specifics on the Sounder
list page, thus the specifics on the Sounder page take precedence.
Thus, indeed, as the sounder list page specifically says: "_Anything
goes_ Ubuntu community chit-chat and discussion list".   (Emphasis
mine.)

_Further_, the quote above from the mailing lists pages, which you
reference, is under a section title "Specific examples:".  That means
that section is pointing out some _subsets_ of what is applicable.  So,
sure, "discussion of subjects of general interest related to Ubuntu,
linux, open source or software in general" are appropriate on the
sounder list.  But, that is _merely_ "an" "example" (subset), and not
the "universe" of allowable content on this wonderful Sounder list.

:)

Anyone who says otherwise, they have picked this in their noses and have
smeared this across their pieces of paper.

As said by a world famous Nordic martial arts person.

And, no, I don't mean Tove Torvalds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linus_Torvalds#Personal_life
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_Putin#Martial_arts

Hmm.  Separated at birth?
http://www.product-reviews.net/wp-content/userimages/2007/07/linustorvaldsspeedo.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Vladimir_Putin_at_Sabantui-1.jpg

http://www.product-reviews.net/2007/07/08/linus-torvalds-in-a-speedo-original-author-of-the-linux/

... ... ... ...  Oh, OK.  ...   :(
http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/files/www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/nodes/3132/fig_linus_torvalds.jpg
http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/books/mihrfc/rule_3_grow_dont_build
http://www.opensuse-guide.org/images/billeder/linus.jpg
http://www.opensuse-guide.org/history.php

;)

==
http://fakebill.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/noweeopensource.png?w=450
http://fakebill.wordpress.com/2007/07/11/anti-communism/
"Dude,  I created the Blue Screen of Death!
Have you seen it?"

==  Join in the Global weekly meetings, via VOIP, about all Free SW HW & Culture