More than interesting.

Chan Chung Hang Christopher christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Sat Apr 24 08:11:21 BST 2010

Ari Torhamo wrote:
> pe, 2010-04-23 kello 16:08 -0700, Robert Holtzman kirjoitti:
>> On Fri, 23 Apr 2010, Manish Sinha wrote:
>
>>> "Our" means whose? The world or Americans? Isn't this a global list?
>>> If so then Americans getting out of work is a problem for Americans or the
>>> whole world?
>> When the out of work Americans can't afford to buy other countries'
>> exports, whose problem will it be? Don't forget, the U.S. is *one* of
>> the largest markets in the world (yes, I know all about China and
>> India).
>

> Did you know all about Europe too ;-) :
>
> Trade in goods
>       * EU good exports to the US in 2008: €250 billion
>       * EU goods imports from the US in 2008: €186 billion
> Trade in services
>       * EU services exports to the US 2008: €134.3 billion
>       * EU services imports from the US in 2008: €129.8 billion
> Foreign Direct Investment
>       * EU investment flows to the US in 2008: €149.2 billion
>       * US investment flows to the EU in 2008: €44.6 billion
>
> Source: European Comission trade statistics

Don't you love intertwined economies?

In the end, however, it is really only countries whose citizens have
their livelihoods that 'win'. Otherwise, it is just the same old rich
(big business/big government/'religion') milking more from the
poor/middle class and keeping the money flowing in the upper echelons of
society with those exceptions that manage to tap in to the pool somehow.