Desktop Linux losing application support from Songbird

David Sanders dsuzukisanders at gmail.com
Sat Apr 10 11:07:30 BST 2010

>On 10 April 2010 04:41, Fred A. Miller <fmiller at lightlink.com> wrote:
> Despite all the efforts of Canonical and Ubuntu, desktop Linux remains a
> non-factor n the market.
>
> http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=6216&tag=nl.e539

I doubt very much that Songbird is a sign of the times. I suppose the
2 people who are actually using it are mac and windows fans.
This does highlight an overall issue with desktop linux though - most
of the applications you need are included, so "downloadable" extras
have a bit of a hard time competing. Due to the shrill old-school
technology press this might be seen as a failure, but I think in fact
it is a sign of the strength of the default apps.