A Call to Boycott Ubuntu? An Important Discussion Thread

Michael Haney thezorch at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 21:13:55 BST 2009

I agree Shuttleworth's comments were a bit out of line but they aren't
enough to justify a boycott of Ubuntu.  I honestly don't think he
meant the comments as a deliberate slant against women but that is how
it was perceived.

Feminists I know can be rather sensitive to such comments so its no
surprise that many of them were upset, but its also a surprise at how
mature many of them are being about the whole thing also.  In the past
I'd expect direct personal attacks against Mr. Shuttleworth himself,
but the comments and retrained language of the many open letters that
you can find on the Internet are a big surprise.

Anyway, what was said is said, assuming he really said it at all.  The
fact that I haven't found a single transcript of his speech at
LinuxCon to actually confirm any of this is a bit disturbing.  You'd
think someone would put his entire speech up online somewhere, but I
haven't found anything but sites that have that same short snippet and
most are feminist blogs.  At this point I'm not so sure anymore.  Its
always wise to have an open mind but its wiser to take anything you
read on the Internet with a generous dose of salt.

I personally meant to slander against Mr. Shuttleworth, but this is
something that could take a life of its own really fast (like most
things online) and I wanted to get some intelligent debate going ...
and I've pretty much succeeded at doing that.

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
thezorch at gmail.com
http://thezorch.googlepages.com/home