webferret

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Thu Sep 24 06:58:44 BST 2009

> I also understand that any software developed using GPLed development
> tools (gcc, Perl, etc.) cannot be licensed under anything else but the
> GPL because that software may use libraries which are under the GPL.

That is absolutely false. You can license software compiled with gcc
under whatever license you like. The real question is whether you are
including other people's code that are licensed under GPL. The GNU C
Library is LGPL so compiling a program that only uses system calls and
standard c library calls does not have to be licensed under GPL.

If, however, you wrote a program that used the qt library prior to
version 4.5, then you would have had to release it under GPL because qt
is GPL.

The same goes for interpreted languages such as php, perl, etc.

> Thus, it is not legal to use GPLed code in software that's under a
> restricted license.

Please use the correct words. You can USE GPL'ed code anyway you like.
You cannnot DISTRIBUTE GPL'ed code under a different license. Please get
that very clear.