Haiku: BeOS Reborn

Michael Haney thezorch at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 02:08:55 BST 2009

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 8:07 PM, Christopher Chan > Heh. You have not
yet got into the unfair play yet. I remember when the
> Athlon64 almost did not get off the ground because Intel made threats to
> reduce supply of chips to any motherboard manufacturer that dared make
> boards for the new AMD processor. Good thing Asus got the ball rolling
> but in the end Intel did enough damage.

Karma is a bitch, and several companies have been earning a lot of it
lately ... the bad kind.  The universe will be cashing in its loans
very soon.  :)

Nvidia is releasing their own netbook CPU called Tegra that runs rings
around the Intel Atom and Nvidia's own Ion chipset.  Its an ARM based
CPU, which is fast approaching as the new CPU of choice for netbooks,
combined with a GPU for faster video processing.  Tegra armed netbook
prototypes can play DVDs and stream Youtube and Hulu Flash video
without stuttering and can even handle HD video without lagging.  This
has attracted a lot of interest towards the ARM architecture.

3G equipped netbooks using the ARM based 1GHz Snapdragon CPU are
hitting the market very soon from Qualcomm, Nokia, ASUS, Winstrom and
Inventec.  Android, Moblin, and Google Chrome OS are the top possible
contenders for which OS they will come pre-installed with.  So far I
haven't heard of one netbook manufacturer looking into using Windows
Mobile, I don't blame them.

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
thezorch at gmail.com