Today I reinstalled Windows

Fred Roller froller at tnclimited.com
Tue Sep 22 13:53:14 BST 2009

Odd wrote:

>  But MS has always cared more about
> customers' convenience, rather than them being secure.

Here in lies the the primary consumer product being sold, convience.
When the system gets corrupt then send them to a pc house to fix... wait
"this new system is cheaper than the repair?"  /and/ "you can get my
data and settings?"...OK :-)   hmmm.  I notice a pattern.  Then when
putting linux on a box should technically make them cheaper and in fact
makes them more expensive from the major manufactures (well, de11 from
my own experience.), but have heard of the MS subsidy to manufactures.

I did stay on top of my windows machine when I had one, practiced safe
surfing with up to date AV.  Even with all the steps found myself
rebuilding every 6-12 months just for GP because it seemed to clear what
I call "creep".  It was easy except for the 2 hour fight to re-activate
my key.

If you have no clue and walk in to Wally World and see a PC with
printer, monitor, all the bells and whistles for $300 -$500 set up next
to a $1200 PC with Monitor and Keyboard.  Which do you get?  It's cheap
and supposedly will do just as much as the more expensive which probably
just got some extra stuff on geeks need anyway.

MS has definitely made PC's convenient and disposable.  I'll save all
the "Free" Trial offers for another time. ;-)

--
Fred
www.fwrgallery.com

"Life is like linux, simple.  If you are fighting it you are doing something wrong."