Today I reinstalled Windows

Michael Haney thezorch at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 16:37:06 BST 2009

On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 7:30 AM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/9/20 Michael Haney <thezorch at gmail.com>:
>
>> Most of all, what Linux needs is a "killer app" game which everyone is
>> going to want to play, but they can only play it on Linux because it
>> won't be made available on Windows.
>

> That would be what got me into Ubuntu. My wife played Frozen Bubble at
> a friend's house and asked me to put Ubuntu on her laptop so she could
> play it at home ...

Agreed, Frozen Bubble is pretty awesome.  One of the reason why I
wanted to run a lite-weight Ubuntu on my laptop was also because of
Frozen Bubble.  Often after doing a fresh install of a new version of
Ubuntu on my desktop Frozen Bubble is one of the first apps I install
from Add/Remove Programs.

Chan Chung Hang Christopher wrote
> Please, please. stop propagating the myth that games is the #1 issue of
> what puts an operating system on a home desktop.

Micro$oft went out of their way to accommodate game developers in the
early days of Windows 95.  Why do you think Direct X came into
existence.

Chan Chung Hang Christopher wrote
> I dunno...why are Macs making their way into households again?

There are several factors there.  Mac OS X itself is stupidly easy to
use for one thing.  Every Mac comes with iLife, an easy to use suite
of apps which allows people to do DVD authoring with customized menus,
video editing with high-quality special effects that puts Windows
Movie Maker to shame, near-professional level music composition and
webpage design without buying additional 3rd party software.  It comes
pre-installed on each and every Mac.  Then, there's BootCamp, a
special disk partitioning tool that sets up the Mac to dual boot for
running an OS that requires a traditional PC BIOS like Windows or
Linux (though its officially designed for just Windows you can install
Linux into the BootCamp partition).

And EVERYONE I know who has a Mac uses Windows on the BootCamp
partition for one thing and one thing only .... games.  Games aren't a
multi-billion dollar a year industry for nothing folks.

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
thezorch at gmail.com
http://thezorch.googlepages.com/home