Haiku: BeOS Reborn

Michael Haney thezorch at gmail.com
Sat Sep 19 01:20:59 BST 2009

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 7:56 PM, Jay Daniels <tux at myt60.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-09-18 at 18:33 +0200, David Sanders wrote:
>> >>
>> > Not a good endorsement.  The new KDE /sucked ass/ when it first came
>> > out.  I haven't tried it lately, so maybe it has improved some.
>> >
>> Agreed, Gnome needs no facelift - but a default theme for Ubuntu other
>> than brown would go down well. I use Mac4Lin to sweeten mine. KDE4 is
>> pants. It looks pants and it works pants.
>>

> I would love to use the mac4lin or tiger or panther theme, but I cannot
> get use to the traffic lights.  Are there any such themes that has the
> same controls and colors as mac themes but yet keep the min, max, x
> buttons intact as well as the current application icon in the left top?
>
> I also could never get the menu to display like a mac in the gnome-panel
> using Hardy.
>
> So far out of the many themes I have viewed or installed, I always seem
> to navigate back to Human.

Not that I can see, all the Mac themes I've seen are all designed to
mimic the Aqua interface.  The Gnome theme I use most of the time
right now is Dust Sand.  Getting the application menu to work in a
toolbar in Gnome like on the Mac is something I've tried in the past
and yes it doesn't work quite right.  I leave the main panel as it is,
removed the 2nd panel at the bottom and replaced it with Avant Window
Navigator.  AWN is in the repos, its an OS X Dock clone for Linux
which pretty much does everything the real thing does except for those
neat expanding folders.  AWN requires the glx extensions for some
rendering so you need to be using desktop compositing (installed and
working ATI, Nvidia, or Intel GMA driver in Hardware Drivers).

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
thezorch at gmail.com
http://thezorch.googlepages.com/home