Ubuntu Repositories

Michael Haney thezorch at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 20:10:34 BST 2009

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 1:28 AM, Christopher Chan
> I don't know. Redhat is categorically said that they have no interest in
> the desktop. Google is coming out with its own Linux distro.
> Ubuntu.../me shudders at the thought of managing a bunch of these
> desktops in an enterprise. Jaunty 'grub error 18' on reboot anyone?

RedHat has been flip flopping on the issue, or that's the way it seems
according to the RSS feeds I get from Linux Magazine and Linux Today
from time to time.  Wish they'd make up their minds.

> I'd say look out for OpenSolaris. I am typing from an OpenSolaris
> desktop. For basic needs, OpenSolaris also does the job like various
> Linux distros. No need to specifically install proprietary driver to get
> accelerated 3D/video offloading support like you do in Ubuntu. Some of
> the growing pains won't be encountered in the latest releases I think.
> Ubuntu needs to step up a level.

I've read, on those same RSS feeds, that OpenSolaris' future is kinda
shaky at this point, or am I wrong.  I think its mostly speculation
due to the whole thing about Sun wanting to buy Novell.

Now, I'm wondering, OpenSolaris isn't Linux correct?  It might look
and feel like Linux but its a totally different kernel, or am I wrong.
 I only played around with the LiveCD of OpenSolaris one time a long
time ago and while the boot sequence was different when it got to the
GUI it looked exactly like many other Linux distros I've toyed with
before I finally deciding on Ubuntu.

Now, I agree OpenSolaris has a lot of potential in the business
desktop market.  From what I understand its very stable, runs fast and
is very secure.  Its lineage can be traced back to Unix I believe.
Being open source (not via the GPL but a different OSS license) its
also now a free operating system but still has backing from Sun as
well as continued develop from a thriving community of contributing
developers ... similar to how OpenOffice is handled.

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
thezorch at gmail.com
http://thezorch.googlepages.com/home