Macs

John McCabe-Dansted gmatht at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 13:22:09 BST 2009

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 7:57 PM, Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 10:06 PM, Michael Haney <thezorch at gmail.com> wrote:
>> My friend's experience running X Windows apps under Mac OS X is that
>> even with fast hardware the software runs sluggishly.  Open Office
>> would indeed run but he constantly complained about it being sluggish
>> and slow to respond sometimes.  I tried it out and he was right.  You
>> CAN run some Linux software on the Mac but they don't run smoothly.
>> Also, the software has to be recompiled in the Elf binary format that
>> the Mac users.  It won't run native Linux binary format applications
>> even with the X Server component.
>
> True, you do need to recompile to Mac format. An X server is not a
> Linux emulator!

I understand that FreeBSD is capable of running Linux binaries, it is
suggested in this thread that Darwin also has this capability
(although no-one tried because you'd need all the Linux versions of
the libraries as well).
   http://forums.appleinsider.com/archive/index.php/t-9587.html

--
John C. McCabe-Dansted