Macs

Odd iodine at runbox.no
Tue Sep 15 16:08:14 BST 2009

Michael Haney wrote:
> Well, the Mac experience is more than the hardware.  You're missing
> the point if you look at just the hardware alone.  There is also the
> software.  Mac OS X is a fully-certified Unix operating system under
> the hood.

Which means zilch to 99.99% of Mac users.

> There are fewer security vulnerabilities,

Nope. See Henrik's mail.

> and most viruses
> and malware for the Mac exist only as extremely limited
> proof-of-concept code.

Because of Mac's market share. My Amiga has even
less malware. So it must be better than MacOS by
your reasoning.

> There is a lot of specialized software for the
> Mac which has few or no alternatives on Linux or Windows.

Name one that has no Windows equivalent.

> There is
> far more software for the Mac that you might imagine and its a myth
> that the Mac doesn't have any worthwhile software at all.

No one here has claimed that the Macs don't have
any worthwhile software.

>Not to
> mention also Macs have an EFI which has several distinct advantages
> over a traditional BIOS.

Which means zilch to 99.99% of Mac users and even less to
Windows users.

> To top it off, Mac OS X just works without
> any of the usual hassles of using Windows.

What hassles would that be?

> Macs also have BootCamp which can be used to run Ubuntu, and does so
> very well according to the Ubuntu users group I'm a member of.

My PC runs Ubuntu very well too.

> Also,
> Maximum PC and PC Magazine have done several benchmarks which prove
> that Intel Macs run Windows Vista Ultimate "faster" than a comparably
> or better equipped traditional PC.

URLs please.

> Let us also not forget that the
> current generation MacBook Pros have the longest battery life of any
> notebook computers currently on the market except for a few netbooks.
> I've done some research on that one, point me to a PC-based
> non-netbook notebook or laptop with a 10+ hour battery life.

Forgive me if I don't take your "research"  seriously. You have made
quite a few claims here without any backing. I await your answers.

--
Odd