Microsoft wants you to "Get the Facts Straight"

Roy Smith rasmith1959 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 18:48:37 BST 2009

Fred Roller wrote:
> Liam Proven wrote:

>>> Indeed. They've fixed the worst interface problems and made the
>>> interface lower latency, so it feels responsive - but mostly,
>>> computers have caught up with Vista rather than Vista being made
>>> faster. And there's hardware drivers now.
>>>
>>> And it's fine, you know. It works well enough. Anyone who's used KDE 4
>>> will find it familiar, a sort of cheap copy.
>>>
>> Yes, indeed.
>>
>> And that is a worrying thing. Win7 is indeed "good enough". Nothing
>> radical, but it "leverages" (*shudder*) the power of more modern PCs
>> to make things a bit easier for noobs, a bit more colourful and
>> pretty, and to satisfy the idiots who think that comparisons between
>> Windows, Mac and Linux are all about "chrome" and visual pizzazz.
>>
>> Which is going to make it harder for Mac and Linux to compete, and
>> that is a bad thing.
>>

> Plastic beads my friend, plastic beads.
>
> On the bright side, the repair market will remain strong :/
>
> ...On a serious note.  Linux is gaining ground, slowly, but gaining.
> IMHO if businesses converted just to the desktops for the security then
> the employees would be relieved NOT to have to pirate software from work
> to do work at home.  If memory serves Office got so big because people
> needed to do work at home and "borrowed" the install disks, etc. etc.
>
> Kids so far are easy.  I have noticed that putting a GUI in front of the
> pre-teens doesn't require M$.  So long as they have tux paint, can play
> games online (peguins, barbie, etc.), a few local games, which linux has
> tons of that are age appropriate; these kids haven't cared who is
> driving the software.  When they grow up, linux is familar and preferred.

I hear you there!  I've been toying around with various flavors of Linux
for the past several months, and over the weekend I decided to make the
big switch from XP to Ubuntu.  When my 10 year-old son found out I was
making the change, he was actually excited about it!  Turns out that he
likes some of the games like Battle for Wesnoth and a few others over
anything that is available on Windows.  Now on the other hand, his
Grandmother wasn't as easy to convince....

--
| Roy Smith                          | Y! rasmith1959                 |