Emc for cnc machines

Douglas Pollard dougpol1 at verizon.net
Sat Oct 24 20:08:34 BST 2009

HI all, I am an old machinist who has been lucky enough to own a machine
shop that made me a little money. I understand a little something on how
to make money in the maching business.  Since retirement I have been
using Linux (Ubuntu) and EMC2.  It's a linux based computerized machine
controller and It's a good one.   It can run milling machines, Lathes
all manner of wood cutting routers as well Robots and telescopes that
follow the stars and operate casting machines..  There is little in the
way of automation it can not do.  It is by far the most powerful tool a
working class family can have. IT is FREE.
Here in the US or anywhere in the world It can be hooked up to a
Linux,Ubuntu or any other unix type compter.  For only a few hundred
dollars. An old metal or woodworking machine that can be reworked and
hook up and earning money. Several of these in a Garage can support and
man and his wife to the tune of maybe $50,000 a year if they give up
there jobs and run the machines.  In a couple years with a few more
machines they can do $100.000.  Not to bad for a family that otherwise
might be working at Mc Donalds. With these machines they have an ability
to build more machines.   They don't need to make a profit as such, but
merely a living.   Three machines cost less than a new car to be worn
out driving back and forth to work.  Even the children can be given
tasks that will let them earn money towards a college degree.  I have a
grand son that is doing this and he is not a machinist but has a good
working knowledge of computers and is a Linux user.   There is so much
knowledge out there that any novice in this field can get all the help
he can use from  the older machinists on line. He can also get all the
help he needs on line with Linux, EMC2.  There is a fortune in
information on line.  All it takes is a little faith in oneself and a
desire to make good it's all there for the taking.  There has never been
a better opportunity in my 75 years and likely a whole lot longer.
     I watch C-span a lot and I have not seen the slightest mention of
this phenomenon that seems to be getting underway.  The Government in
all its solutions to a new economy I think is going to be blindsided by
this.  The whole world is the market and anybody in the world can
compete in it. the problem with the economy today I think is that
everyone is setting around waiting for somebody to do something.   Well
here it is.

                                                                  Doug