FCC and the internet

Steve Furbish sfurbish at nerdshack.com
Thu Oct 22 18:14:17 BST 2009

Amedee Van Gasse (ub) wrote:
> On Thu, October 22, 2009 15:29, Steve Furbish wrote:
>
>> The "Trojan Horse theory" is perhaps slightly more eloquently explained
>> in Corynne McSherry's commentary posted yesterday on the EFF website.
>> The bottom line is can you trust a government to do the right thing
>> where power and massive amounts of profit are at stake?
>>
>> Steve
>>

> Hi Steve!
>
> Who controls a government? Voters. Who can vote? Everybody older than
> [legal voting age in your country] What is the value of a vote? Each vote
> has the same value.

Since I've already been labeled a pessimist in an earlier post I guess
I'll simply have to reject that such a perfect world exists. As a
government makes its population dependent on it by providing more and
more social welfare the votes become evermore mandatory toward maintain
a standard of living. The survival of government is assure so long as
there is anyone left to tax.

> Who controls a private company? Shareholders. Who has shares? Everybody
> rich enough to buy shares. What is the value of each vote? The biggest
> shareholder has the biggest vote.

In a capitalistic driven market buyers (customers) control  the profits
of those companies and absent  a monopolistic stranglehold  (as
government always enjoys)  consumers vote with their purchases.

> The bottom line is can you trust a private company to do the right thing
> where power and massive amounts of profit are at stake?

No, but you can trust them to do what it takes to keep paying customers
absent government interference.

> at least you can send a government home in the elections every couple ofyears. A good example are the US of A: they sent the republicans home after 8 years of Bush administration.

I was one of those who voted to send the republicans packing, but I
didn't bargain for what I'm getting from the Democrats either.

Steve