FCC and the internet

Douglas Pollard dougpol1 at verizon.net
Wed Oct 21 16:30:27 BST 2009

    We have been recently arguing here on sounder about how bad is
Microsoft which seems to me  like arguing how dangerous is the kitty cat
when there is a tiger hiding in the bushes.  The Government of the
United States has a bill in the congress called Net Neutrality.  This
bill will let the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) get it's ugly
swollen and deformed foot in the door to run the INTERNET as it does
broadcast television media, radio, and every  broadcast media that is
our  means of communication and news.  It would like to control the
cable that supplies the INTERNET, with the excuse of forcing the supply
of it to everyone.  What is Net Neutrality, is an opinionated e-mail a
violation of such a doctrine??
   AS A result of FCC controls ABC, NBC, CBS or PBS will not dare to
disagree with anything the Administration or congress says or proposes.
  This  is the biggest danger that free software could possibly face.
Large software companies can lobby for FCC rules by the use of swollen
coffers that might  completely eliminate the use of free software or in
some way control it in such a ways as to make it uncompetitive with the
big companies.
    Is it free if you can't use it to say what you want?
    I suspect that it irritates big federal government that free
software lies outside it's grasp to control. It is spread across the
world.   IT cannot be controlled by the use of income tax on it's
profits, excise tax on it's value or a tariff for it's use on the
coming  state run INTERNET.
     Anyone who thinks this can't happen is not looking reality in the
face. I would like for such a person to cite me an example of when in
the last several thousand years a government has held back on
controlling it's population  by any means available.
     With the passing of hate speach laws  and the control of the
internet our days of being able to write a post like this one whether
true or misguided are numbered. How long will it be until saying
something like I am saying here will be deemed hate speech against the
United States Government???  WE have a constitution that guarantees our
individual rights but it is up to only us, to see to it that the
Government does not interfere, by denying it the power to step on those
rights.   Government control of Freedom of speech is not freedom of
speech at all.
    Those of you who are not US citizens but instead citizens of other
countries should be eying there own Governments with a considerable
amount of distrust where the Internet is concerned. There are in this
world countries that are presently controlling it and in my opinion
there aren't any countries whose governments are not fully capable of
doing the same in their own interest given half a chance.
      I feel sorry for you folks in England, the very country that gave
us individual rights and whose teachings that endowed our founding
fathers with the wisdom and education to write our constitution, is now
prosecuting its own citizens for having opinions and voicing them on
Christian verses Muslim Ideas.  Believe me I am not being smug because
we are going down the same road.   Could this post be deemed hate mail
in the near future when we have given up the INTERNET to Government
control?
                  Doug