does this resource currently exist?

Cathy Malmrose lists at zareason.com
Fri Oct 16 18:27:43 BST 2009

Is there any publicly available database / wiki that lists who and where
F/LOSS is being used? For example:

--> US -- Wall Street: converted to Ubuntu in __, link to news article

I need to be able to tell people, "Hey, this part of the US Army, plus __,
plus __ are using Linux..." The classic 1, 2, 3 listing groups that most
appeal to the specific person or organization I am talking to.

A common scenario for me (and I suspect many F/LOSS users): talking with an
organization who may consider transitioning, but they don't want to be "the
only ones". Peer pressure is so powerful. Key: *They don't need to be
majority.* All they need to know is that other cool people are already using
F/LOSS (backpat intended for the community).

Today's need: I just started volunteering as the IT Director at a Family
History Center <http://www.oaklandfhc.org/>. Helping 70 and 80 year olds
work their computers is a *riot* and I love it. We have the budget to do a
complete wipe of the lab, purchasing all new hardware. If I could send a
quick email saying, "Let's consider moving away from what is causing the
most headaches and do what ___, ___, and ___ have done (links to great news
articles)."

Is there this type of up-to-date wiki / database / list currently in play?

--Cathy Malmrose
www.zareason.com