State of Massachusetts / OASIS formats

Samuel Thurston, III sam.thurston at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 05:35:33 BST 2009

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 3:33 PM, Michael <mmorse757 at gmail.com> wrote:
> The post about not being able to access wireless service due to using Linux reminded me of the American state of Massachusetts.  When I do a Google of "Massachusetts proprietary formats", the newest article I can find is four years old.  What ever happened to their attempt to do away with MS Office?

I found a document explaining how to deploy "open formats conversion
tools" for MS Office from march of last year.

http://www.mass.gov/Eoaf/docs/itd/services/application/open/open_formats_technical_guidance.doc

perusing the document would suggest that they have at least some users
of StarOffice8 (they have an Active Directory group for this) but
since the document itself is a .doc file, and the guidelines include
instructions for adding the OpenXML formats to older Office
installations, I would say they have not managed to get MS office out
of the picture yet.