More than half of Windows machines are INFECTED with malware

Michael Haney thezorch at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 10:58:46 BST 2009

On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 2:56 AM, Nils Kassube <kassube at gmx.net> wrote:
> Samuel Thurston, III wrote:
>> (except
>> Microsoft of course. everyone knows MS is evil.)
>
> Come on - you know that isn't true any longer. After all, Microsoft
> contributed 20000 lines of code to the Linux kernel [1]. It would be
> interesting to know where on the evil scale Greg K-H would put Microsoft
> in comparison to Google and Canonical, considering [2].

It comes down to trust.  And everyone knows that Micro$oft has not
demonstrated very well in the past that its a company that can be
trusted.  Thus there is a great deal of fear and distrust in the FOSS
community over the company's contributions.

Think about it, on the one hand Steve Balmer calls Linux "a cancer",
while at the same time contributing source code to the GPL.  Balmer
continues to assert that Linux violates Micro$oft's patents (and as
far as I knew so far he hasn't presented any proof), yet at the same
time they have this "Promise" not to exercise their legal patent
rights against Linux developers who use their contributed source code.

They're sending mixed messages, so of course people aren't going to
trust them.  If the company were a person I'd say they had multiple
personality disorder.

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
thezorch at gmail.com