Delicious Schadenfreude from London

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 20:57:40 BST 2009

2009/10/7 Samuel Thurston, III <sam.thurston at gmail.com>:

>> If your devs are doing all .NET, use IIS. If not, use Apache on Unix.

> How mature is mod_mono? is anyone using it in production?  I
> understand it's not feature-complete, but 99.9% of .NET apps don't use
> all the features of .NET so I wonder how bad it could really be.  In
> my (again, anecdotal) experience OSS reimplementations of MS Protocols
> tend to outperform the MS products. I'm looking at you, Samba.

Mono is pointless. If you're developing on .NET, use .NET. Mono has
zero compelling applications. After years, its inroads into Unix
consist of a few desktop toys, and those are rightly pilloried for
their ridiculously fat arses. For that sort of thing on Unix, use Java
- the thing that .NET is a cheap knockoff of. Nothing compelling on
the desktop, but in the commercial world Java on Linux owns the
server.

- d.