More than half of Windows machines are INFECTED with malware

Samuel Thurston, III sam.thurston at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 04:41:27 BST 2009

On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 6:39 PM, Derek Broughton <derek at pointerstop.ca> wrote:
> Samuel Thurston, III wrote:
>>
>> FACT: Google contributes significantly more to the Linux Kernel itself
>> than Ubuntu/Canonical does.
>
> Is it a fact?  I'm prepared to believe it, but if you call it "FACT:" you
> really should provide at least one citation.

Yes, and I thought a  fairly widely known one so I didn't think I
needed to cite it.  Here ya go:

http://www.linux.com/index.php?option=com_rubberdoc&view=doc&id=15&format=raw

Class, please turn your pdf's to page 11.  Table 9 lists commercial
contributions to the kernel by company over the last three years.
Google is at #20 with %0.9 of total contributions.  Sun is at #30, the
bottom of this list, with %0.5. Canonical is not listed. According to
Greg Kroah-Hartman, the primary author of this report, Canonical
places #79 among commercial contributors, with just a sliver over
%0.1.

> OPINION: Canonical contributes more to Linux as a complete O/S than Google
> does.

Greg spoke at some length on the subject of Canonical's contributions
to both the kernel and Linux as a complete OS in his keynote at Linux
Plumbers Conference in 2008.  The conclusion of the keynote (several
paragraphs before the final four slides) paints an enlightening
picture of Canonical's role in the "Linux Ecosystem."

The video of the keynote is on google video, here's a transcript:
http://www.kroah.com/log/linux/lpc_2008_keynote.html

Greg works for Novell, but if he himself were ranked among the
companies for his own personal contributions, (he's the USB subsytem
maintainer, IIRC) He would be #24, with 11 times as many contributions
as Canonical over the same time period. He's #15 among individual
contributors.