screen resolution ubuntu 8.04-9.04 and 9.10 alpha 1-6 and beta

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 10:27:35 BST 2009

2009/10/4 Henning Nymark Melgaard <nymark1 at gmail.com>:

> Or is this simply a matter of priority? Is my graphics card to old for
> Ubuntu to be bothered with it?
> Is this some kind of "Ubuntu policy", that older hardware is not going to be
> supported. If it is that would be nice to know.
> For how many years will Ubuntu support your hardware? How often will you
> have to go and buy a new pc, to keep using Ubuntu?

Mostly it's older drivers in X11. Xorg tries to autoconfigure all
cards. This *mostly* works, but when it doesn't it just doesn't. And
you have to resort to creating an xorg.conf file.

These things are reportable bugs in Ubuntu, but basically they won't
be fixed unless and until someone fixes the drivers upstream.

Yes, it's extremely annoying ... but it's far less annoying than the
old days. Ask old Linux hands about modelines. Some theorise the
Xfree86/Xorg split happened when David Dawes finally lost it trying to
fix a broken modeline.

- d.